Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SmilingSteve SmilingSteve is offline

Default How do i set up a 3d reference where one cell reference is dyn

Tyro
I do not want to do the double indirect. It was the only way excel was
letting me get the function to work. a single indirect would be great.

B9 is the cell to be summed

"Tyro" wrote:

You appear to be wanting to do double indirection. That is to say, go to
cell F7 to get the address G7 then go to cell G7 and get the worksheet name,
September.

Is that correct?

Tyro

"SmilingSteve" wrote in message
Thanks for you reply tyro.
F7=G7
G7=September

Formula is:
=SUM(january:indirect($F$7)!B9)
I also tried
=SUM(january:indirect($G$7&!B9)) which creates an actual cell reference
for
the indirect function

I can type =SUM(january:September!B9) and it works just fine
When I watched the execution of the first or second formula I get a name
error for January. The rest parses out fine but the name error overrides.

Steve

"Tyro" wrote:

Having your formula would help. The INDIRECT function will accomplish
what
you want. But without your formula, I cannot tell what is wrong.

Tyro

"SmilingSteve" wrote in message
I have an excel workbook with multiple work sheets (Summary, January,
february..., December) On the Summary worksheet I want to create a 3d
reference summing all B9 cells across the monthly worksheets. I can do
this
for a specified range of months, like =sum(january:December!B9. I want
the
second reference, December, to be variable, like february or september.

I tried indirect but it evaluates the string left to right and
consequently
gives me a name error.

Any suggestions as to how I do this?