Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SmilingSteve SmilingSteve is offline

Default How do i set up a 3d reference where one cell reference is dyn

Thanks for you reply tyro.
F7=G7
G7=September

Formula is:
=SUM(january:indirect($F$7)!B9)
I also tried
=SUM(january:indirect($G$7&!B9)) which creates an actual cell reference for
the indirect function

I can type =SUM(january:September!B9) and it works just fine
When I watched the execution of the first or second formula I get a name
error for January. The rest parses out fine but the name error overrides.

Steve

"Tyro" wrote:

Having your formula would help. The INDIRECT function will accomplish what
you want. But without your formula, I cannot tell what is wrong.

Tyro

"SmilingSteve" wrote in message
I have an excel workbook with multiple work sheets (Summary, January,
february..., December) On the Summary worksheet I want to create a 3d
reference summing all B9 cells across the monthly worksheets. I can do
this
for a specified range of months, like =sum(january:December!B9. I want
the
second reference, December, to be variable, like february or september.

I tried indirect but it evaluates the string left to right and
consequently
gives me a name error.

Any suggestions as to how I do this?