Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Time-date chart plotting

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Midjack said:
How can I create a time-date graph such that the values are plotted at the
correct time positions within the date range rather than all on the date
vertical axis?

Choose Chart type XY (Scatter) instead of Line. Line has only the options
of Category (which won't distribute the values properly) and Time-scale
(which, for some bizarre reason, Microsoft limits to whole days only - no
times available).

Del -

It's still a category axis. I think the magic done under the covers simply
skips some categories in between to plot uneven intervals of whole numbers.
So we're still stuck with days only.

What you could do if you like the way the date axis is formatted (I know I
do), is to make a line chart with a hidden series (no markers or lines) to
control the axis, then add your real data as XY series, using real dates and
times for the X values. These somehow are allowed to display in between
categories and show times other than midnight on the days along the axis.
This combination Line-XY approach also helps to display data where the
series don't have points on the same days. Line chart series are tied to the
dates for the first series, but XY series are independent of each other.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions