Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_141_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_141_] is offline

Default Converting text to cell reference and column letters to numbers - please help

Not sure how you are going to be using our suggestions, so this may or may
not be able to be adapted to what you need to do...

=COLUMN(INDIRECT(AM2&"1"))

You can concatenate any number in place of the "1".

Rick

"Jason Lang" wrote in message
Hi--

I have a spreadsheet where I have a column letter(s) entered in cell
AM2. For example cell AM2 has the text "df" to represent column df.

I am trying to write a formula that will allow me to access data in
the next column after df. So I need to:
1) Convert the text in AM2 to a column number
2) Increase the column number by 1
3) Convert it back to a column letter ??I think
4) Be able to reference that new column and the current row

What I have tried is:

=INDIRECT("AM2") --- Returns "df" which it should

=COLUMN(INDIRECT("AM2")) --- Returns 39, which is the column number
for AP, not DF. How do I get this to give me the column number of DF?

Once that works, I think I can increase the column number by 1 easily.

Then how do I take all that and convert it back to a cell reference
using the current row?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jason