Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Sorting a csv

Microsoft has a macro he

which enables you to import files with more than 65k rows - they get
put into separate sheets. You could then sort each sheet.

But, you would then need another macro to carry out a merge sort from
the 4 sheets and to produce your text file, as saving in csv format
from Excel will be limited to a single sheet.

Given that you will need macros to automate all this, wouldn't Access
be a better tool to use anyway? Try posting in one of the Access
groups.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 5, 12:08*am, Bill Sharpe wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Hi,

I have a csv that has around 250,000 rows. *I have an excel macro that reads
data from the csv, but it expects the csv to *be sorted. *So I want to sort
the csv file using excel, (I could sort in access and export but this would
not be automated) I want the process automated.

Since the csv is 250,000 rows I cannot open it in excel and sort, because I
have excel 2003 it has a maximum row of 65,000. *Does anyone know how to do
this, I tried looking online but could find nothing.

Thanks

You may be able to sort a csv file using the "sort" command prompt. Type
sort /? at a command prompt for help. Not sure if this will handle
250,000 rows.
Other choice is to upgrade to Excel 2007 or use Quattro Pro, which allow
1,000,000 rows.

Bill