Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DP DP is offline

Default Subtotals / Grand Total

Eureka! The SUBTOTAL function worked. Once I figured out that the function I
needed was 9 and selected the B column for ref1 it worked. Thank you.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

B16: =SUMIF(A1:A15,"",B1:B15)

OR....if you have some control over the intermediate totals...
Use the SUBTOTAL function. The SUBTOTAL function ignores other SUBTOTAL
functions in it's referenced range.

Example:
B5: =SUBTOTAL(9,B2:B4)
B10: =SUBTOTAL(9,B7:B9)
B14: =SUBTOTAL(9,B12:B13)

and the grand total would be:
B16: =SUBTOTAL(9,B1:B15)
That formula will ignore cells B5, B10 and B14.

Does that help?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"dp" wrote in message
This should be so simple but I cant figure out how to get a Grand Total
cell
B16 without naming each sub total cell. I used 'auto sum' icon to get a
subtotal on b5, b10, b14. Help lost me on paste functions, math, sum
because
I got a sum that included the sub totals as another entry. Obviously I am
very new Excel user. TIA
Col A Col B
Mr. Smith
January 5.00