Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gemini gemini is offline

Default Formatting phone numbers

Hi LMR! The solution posted by MartinW will work for you. Couple of points
you might want to consider.

1) If you need a space after the ")", then use ") " (there's a space
included) rather than the ")".
2) Assuming your original data is in Col. A and you've put the formula
proposed by MartinW in col. B, once you have the formatted data in col. B, do
this. Click on top of col. B (the "B" itself). That selects the entire
column. Then copy the entire column to the clipboard (Ctrl-C). Then select
another empty col, eg. col C. Click in cell C1 and then do a Paste Special,
selecting Values. That'll copy all the values in col B into col C, WITHOUT
copying the formula in col. B. After you've done this, you can choose to
delete col A (the one with the old format) and col B (since that's dependent
upon the existence of data in col A).

Feel free to ask if something isn't clear.

HTH

-- Gemini

"LMR" wrote:

I have two columns of numbers. I'd like to get rid of the old formatted
numbers after the transformation.

Thanks for your fast response!!!!

"Gemini" wrote:

LMR, which version of Excel are you using? Also, are these phone numbers in
one single column? Once the transformation is achieved, do you plan to keep
the old numbers or get rid of them?

-- Gemini

"LMR" wrote:

I am trying to format 2,000+ phone numbers from this format: 555-555-5555 h
to (555) 555-5555. Can anyone help with a formula to include the parenthesis
and remove the letter "h" at the end?

Thanks,
LMR