Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cooz Cooz is offline

Default Count dates -in text format- in October

Hi everyone,

I have column filled with dates that, unfortunately, are text and therefore
cannot be viewed as numbers. The problem I have to solve is to count all
dates in the column that represent a day in, say, October (or any month). My
column looks like this:

12-10-2009
14-11-2009
17-10-2009
17-10-2009
15-10-2009
12-11-2009
(etcetera)

It would be nice if I could use something like
=COUNTIF(A1:A6;MID(XXX;3;4)="-10-")
but of course this won't work; there's nothing concrete to be substituted
for XXX. Can this be done with a worksheet function and if so, what would
this function look like?

Thank you,
Cooz

PS I use Excel 2000
PS I know how to do this with VBA but since the A1:A6 range I mentioned
above is actually Much Longer, using a worksheet function would produce much
faster a result than counting and checking individual cells with VBA.