Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
dsteven dsteven is offline

Default Secondary Axis

Jon, Thanks and I appreciate you taking the time to offer some direction. I
read through your text, I did all the things you brought up they didn't
resolve the issue. What I found was the column containing the secondary data
series needs to be adjacent to the column cotaining the primary data series
so that both columns can be selected simultaneously. But no where does MS
talk about that. Again thanks for taking the time to respond.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

"dsteven" wrote in message
Office Standard 2007. To add a secondary vertical axis Excel Help says at
instruction 1.2 On the Format tab, in the Current Selection group, click
the
arrow next to the Chart Elements box, and then click the data series that
you
want to plot along a secondary vertical axis.

The Current Selection group doesn't have a Chart Elements to select from,
but the illustration does show Chart Area with the arrow next to it. It
would
be nice and very helpful if the terminaolgy were consistent.

That dropdown box is the Chart Elements box. It contains a listing of all
chart elements which you can pick from.

Insturction 2. goes on to direct more or less accurately. When I click on
Format Selection it brings up a dialogue box titled Format Axis. Again, it
would be nice and very helpful if the terminaolgy were consistent.

Format Axis allows formatting of the selected axis. It does not allow
addition of a secondary axis. You need to select a series and go to the
Format Series dialog.

Instruction 3. directs = Click Series Options if it's not selected, and
then under Plot Series On, click Secondary Axis and then click Close.

Here I could not find the function Series Options, there is an Axis
Options,
which I would presume is what might be referred too, however, there is no
function available titled Plot Series On or Secondary Axis.

Did you select a series first? The series has a Plot Series On block where
you can choose which axis to plot thee series on. Note that if you only have
one series in the chart, you can only use the primary axis.

This is where the problem lies. If I can't get Series Options to bring up
the functions plot Series On or Secondary Axis, I can't get the secondary
axis on the chart.

Sorry this is so lengthy but I think and I'm hoping explaining the problem
in detail might attract an accurate response from MicroSoft support
people.
Any one else who has a suggestion, I'd be glad to hear from you.

You're not likely to see any Microsoft support people in this forum, nor any
official Microsoft response at all. People such as myself who answer your
questions are volunteers who just like helping people.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions