Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Prashanth KR Prashanth KR is offline

Default Count the number of a range of words in a cell

Hi,

I have a specific problem. Your timely help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a text in a form of paragraph in A1 (eg., The BlackBerry e-mail
system is still unmatched. I set the service up with Gmail, Microsoft
Exchange Web Access, and Yahoo! Mail accounts within minutes. The e-mail
system also supports attachments, displaying picture attachments, and
PowerPoints, but it boils PDFs and other Microsoft Office documents down to
text).

I have a range of words say in C1:C10 (having Blackberry, Microsoft..... etc)

I want to count the total no. of occurances of the words cited in C1:C10.
Currently Iam able to count only one such instance by using the below
mentioned formulae:
=((LEN(A1)-(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,C1,""))))/LEN(C1)) where C1 contains the term
"Blackberry". Iam not able to substitute C1 with the range C1:C10.

Also it does not count if the sentence has a term which is case-sensitive.

Kindly help.
Prashanth KR.