Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default colour coded points depending on error amount

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Sapster86 said:
i've got your method working nicely now for highlighting all
values that are within +- 25cm using the formula:
=IF(C40.25,NA(),IF(C4<-0.25,NA(),A4))

Where A = first elevation, B = Second elevation & C = difference between the
two.

That's great. I think you can simplify the expression a bit:

=IF(ABS(C4)0.25,NA(),A4))

ABS() is a function that strips the sign from a number, so that ABS(4)=4
and ABS(-4)=4 as well.

i've also done this for +- 50, 75, 1 and 1m

For a little more flexibility, put the band figures in the first row,
above the data columns, and use

=IF(ABS($C4)D$1,NA(),$A4))

The dollar signs will keep the references properly anchored, and you can
just copy the formula into columns E, F, G, and H as well without fuss.

the only problem is that it also selects all values before it as well (ie
all the +- 25cm results are also in the +- 50cm table) i'm now trying to get
another formular to seperate these results for me but i'm having some trouble
do you have any ideas?

Using ABS() should make it easier for you to create such a formula. But
to be honest, I wouldn't worry about separating them out, just let each
symbol cover over the ones beneath. To get this to work, you need to
arrange the bands backward. Column D is Column A unaltered (in fact you
can just use column A itself), while columns E-H are now 1.00, 0.75,
0.50 and 0.25, in that order.

Now, with that all said, I have to say I think a better way of showing
the deviations from the centre line might be simply to have a separate
graph underneath the first one plotting the residuals.

i've uploaded the file incase anyone wants to take a look.

I couldn't seem to get that working. See what you think of this version,
based on your email:

http://www.branta.demon.co.uk/excel/...Assessment.xls

--
Del Cotter