Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eli[_3_] Eli[_3_] is offline

Default Excel summary table creation

I would recommend structuring your data in a slightly different way.

Instead of having a column for each day and a row for each Name, have a row
for each Day and Name as follows:

Date Name Hours GroupCode

Jan.1.2007 Bob 10 1

Jan.18.2007 Bob 8 2

Jan.1.2007 Steve 8 1

Etc.

The GroupCode column will be a formula (VLOOKUP(DAY(Date),GroupingTable,2))
that matches a Grouping code to each day in the month.

For this you have to define a table with 31 entries, where the first column
has 1 in the first row and 31 in the 31st row. The second column will have a
group code which indicates to which group of the month the day belongs (e.g.
G1 = 1-7, G2=8-14, G3=15-21 etc). The Group codes are defined and entered by
you.
This will enable you to define groups by which you want to aggregate the
hours.

Once you have done that, create a Pivot table based on your 4 columns table
and then group the Names by Group and Month.

Regards

Eli

Prism - Business Intelligence for Everybody
www.sisense.com

"Jrufin" wrote in message
Hope can anyone please help me on this predicament:

I have a raw data table showing Names versus Hours Worked as shown

Name Jan 1, Jan 2, Jan 3, Jan 4, Jan 5 ..
Bob 10hrs, 8hrs, 2hrs, 0hr, 1hr
Steve 8hrs, 8hrs, 8hrs, 2hrs, 2hrs
John 6hrs, 5hrs, 3hrs, 1hr, 0hr

The dates are from Jan 1 to Dec 31 (whole year) so I just cut it for
illustration purposes. My question is how to easily create a table to
group
the work summaries as per the dates I want (actually based on our company
fiscal calendar range dates) or as per the date range I want....

The final table should be looking like this:
Name Jan 1 ~ 15, Jan 16 ~ 20, Jan 21 ~ 30,etc
Bob ?? Hrs, ?? Hrs, ?? Hrs,
Steve ?? Hrs, ?? Hrs, ?? Hrs,
John ?? Hrs, ?? Hrs, ?? Hrs,

The date range can vary as per user's requirement, say they want work
summaries every 3 wks, forthnightly, etc

Please help! Thanks!