Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Default Linking 2 columns of data

Here's a sample to illustrate one possibility:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3chd6
A simple enquiry sys.xls

Data is assumed in sheet: x, cols A and B,
from row2 down (Col A = Items, Col B = Descriptions)

In x,
Create a dynamic defined range,
via InsertNameDefine
Name: Item
Refers to: =OFFSET(x!$A$2,,,COUNTA(x!$A:$A)-1)

In another sheet: Enquiry,
DVs are created in B3:B10
via Data Validation,
Allow: List, Source: =Item

In C3, copied down:
=IF(B3="","",VLOOKUP(B3,x!A:B,2,0))
returns the descriptions for the items selected in col B

(You could hide away sheet: x normally)
--
Max
Singapore
"zemie25" wrote:
I am trying to create a form in which 2 columns of information are linked. In
one column is a product number and the other is a product description. I want
the form to have drop downs if possible. I want the result to be if you
select the item number the description column fills in or vice versa. I would
also like this information to come from a database containing all the product
item numbers and descriptions.