Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone Jim Cone is offline

Default Streamlining sort

"However, if one report has a student and the other does not"

Assumes SS numbers to compare are on the same sheet in columns B and H
1. Select column B
2. Choose Format Conditional formatting
3. In "Condition 1" choose "Formula is"
4. Enter this formula =(COUNTIF($H:$H,B1)=0)*(B1<"")
5. Click the "Formats" button and pick a pattern color.
SS numbers in column B not in column H will change color.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"A.R. Hunt"
wrote in message
I have 2 reports (approx 8000 lines) with similar data that I need to match
up and find differences in. I copy and paste them side by side onto one sheet
(1 has 5 columns--the other has 12). I insert columns with formulas to find
the differences between the items that should be common--SSN, Dollar amounts,
and hours. I sort by SSN and term on each side. That should match them up.
However, if one report has a student and the other does not, my formula
pinpoints it by showing a variance in SSN. I then have to insert cells to get
my common students to line up again. (Make any sense?) Anyway, I was
wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can streamline this
process. Thanks in advance!