Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tyro[_2_] Tyro[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a way to separate FirstName and LastName ?

I should add that you should insert as many columns as you'll need. For
example John Doe will require one extra column as the John will stay in the
original column and Doe will be in the inserted column. T S Elliott will
require two extra columns with T in the original column, S in the first
inserted column and Elliott in the second inserted column.

Tyro

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
You can insert a column to the right of your name column and then use
Data/Text To Columns with space as your delimiter.
If there are spaces in the names you don't want you can use the TRIM
function to remove them. =TRIM(A1) removes all
leading, trailing spaces and reduces repeating imbedded spaces to 1 space.

Tyro

"Mark246" wrote in message
I've got one column that has names in it...
Joe Smith
Wilbur Jones
Hank Williams
etc...
I want to separate the FirstName and LastName into columns.

I'll copy the data to other columns, then...
How do I remove all characters AFTER the first Space (= FirstName)?
How do I remove all characters UP TO and including the first Space (=
LastName)?

I understand that won't work for all names, like...
T S Elliott
but it will work for most.

Thanks in advance, people.

Mark246