Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sramsey sramsey is offline

Default drag and drop

When I balance my gl accounts, I pull the data in column B one cell to the
right to column C to show that they balance. That clears the data from the
cell I dragged from. If I enter data back into column B after I've moved the
original data, the formatting that used to be there has gone back to default
number formatting. To drag and drop, I just click on the selected cells'
border and move them over.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

If I understand what you mean by "drag and drop" correctly, you can hold
down the Ctrl key while dragging the cell to its new location (actually,
just before you "drop" it will do) and that will copy the cell contents plus
its formatting there while leaving the original data and formatting behind.

Rick

"sramsey" wrote in message
If I drag data to another cell, it takes away the formatting in the old
cell.
For example, say I have a cell formatted to show negative numbers in
parenthesis (eg: -4 = (4.00)) and I drag that to another cell, if I enter
new
data in the original cell I dragged from, the formatting is gone. Is
there a
way to avoid this without creating a macro?