Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Bundy John Bundy is offline

Default duplicate name help please

Sorry if i confused you with combo. I would write the formula but don't have
all the data right in my mind but this should show you

If match_type is 0, MATCH finds the first value that is exactly equal to
lookup_value. Lookup_array can be in any order.

You are storing 2 score 9's so it is bringing back the first value
associated, the name. If you put a column to the side that combines something
like last name and score on Main, then do your lookup using (cell that last
name is in) & D11.
Hope thats helpful.

--
-John
is helpful.

"Terry" wrote:

Thanks John

I will look up "combo" you mention and report to group if/when solved.

Terry

"John Bundy" (remove) wrote in message
Whew, thats a lot to look out without seeing the sheet, but from the looks
of
it you are using Large to determine place, your problem is that you have 2
equal scores, I'm assuming this is in D11 because you are using it to find
match here
=INDEX(Main!$A$4:$A$69,MATCH(D11,Main!$P$4:$P$69,0 ))
It is matching the first one it comes to.
Off the top of my head, matching a combo of the score and name should
solve
your issue.

--
-John
is helpful.

"Terry" wrote:

Hello group

I have a spreadsheet that calculates the players Position, Total score,
Played games, and Number of wins, from a MAIN sheet.

Positions Names Total Scores Played Wins
1st Crossland A. 129 8 2
2nd Phillipson G. 124 9 1
3rd Burgess. E 123 9 1
4th Whitehead. J 113 9 1
5th Hand P. 105 9 0
6th Mawer. A 104 7 0
7th Burman. P 96 6 0
8th Ellis. J. Mr 94 9 0
9th Ellis. J. Mr 94 9 0

I have run into a snag where further down this table in 8th & 9th places
it
has created an EXACT duplicate Name and Played games, but correct equal
scores. It is the 9th place that is in error.

I cannot see errors from the used functions below. Can you ??

This is a formula from this group(best 25 scores 13/2/08) on a linked
MAIN
sheet: (best 6 scores of a player and summed), in this case I use just 6
score highest.
=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(M16),M16=6),SUM(LARGE(A16:L16,RO W($A$1:$A$6))),IF(ISNUMBER(M16),"",""))
.... this is entered as an array.

Name of first place:
=INDEX(Main!$A$4:$A$69,MATCH(D11,Main!$P$4:$P$69,0 ))

Total score for that person:
=LARGE(Main!$P$4:$P$69,ROW(1:1))

Games played:
=LOOKUP(C4,Main!$A$4:$A$69,Main!$M$4:$M$69)

Number of wins:
=LOOKUP(C4,Main!$A$4:$A$69,Main!$O$4:$O$69)

Again I find it difficult to explain fully, so don't be too hard...I will
give further required info as requested.

TIA

Terry