Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anvil22 Anvil22 is offline

Default how can i count the number of unique names in a list

Ron,
It worked - greatly appreciated- thank you.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Not that it's important...but, my comment should have been:

In your posted example, 6 names are listed,
but smith and west are listed twice.
Consequently, there are 4 unique names.

--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
This formula returns the count of unique items:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10&""))

Adjust range references to suit your situation.

In your posted example, 5 names are listed, but smith is listed twice.
Consequently, there are 4 unique names.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Anvil22" wrote in message
I hace a list with multiple same names. in excel how can i count each
name
once for a get a list total . I tried most of the count function and can
get
them to work.
smith
jones