Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Replace All makes me look for a file!

I'm still guessing that the workbook/worksheet doesn't exist after you make the
change.

In my simple tests, I got a dialog with a caption of:
Update Values: book2.xls

When it was looking for book2.xls

Maybe it's time to double check that workbook/worksheet.

Or share the string -- before and after -- that causes the error.

tina wrote:

the worksheet I'm referencing does exist, so that's not it :(

Again, if I go through and do a 'replace' cell by cell (just hitting the
REPLACE button and not REPLACE ALL), then, it will replace. If I hit REPLACE
ALL, then I get this screen that pops up that says on the top "update
data:input" and it wants me to either create a file or choose a file - both
of which I tried but when I complete the task, it just goes back to it's
original "update data:input" screen.

Looks like I"m just going to have to hit REPLACE 58,000 times!! Frustrating
:-(
--
tina

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you're changing something that appears in a reference to another workbook (or
a different worksheet) and that workbook or worksheet doesn't exist, then you'll
be prompted for each error.

The only way I know to stop it is to kill excel through the task manager.

Without more info, I don't have any good advice.

tina wrote:

I'm at my wits end here!! (insert me eating chocolate and drinking coffee)

I'm doing a simple find/replace. If I hit the 'replace' button so that it
replaces one cell at a time, I'm ok. HOWEVER, if I do a REPLACE ALL, a
screen (pops up that looks like the screen when you want to open or save a
file) and it's titled "unique value: input."

It won't let me cancel out of it or 'x' out of it (it keeps popping back
up), so I've tried choosing the file I'm working on, creating a new name for
the file, choosing a different file, but it just keeps going in circles and I
end up back at the original 'unique value: input" screen - the only way I can
get out is if I cont/alt/delete and shut down (and lose all my work :-(

I know its not what I'm trying to 'find' and 'replace' because it did work
once this morning already - however, there were like 58,000 replacements, so
I'm hoping I don't have to do this cell by cell!! ACK!

Help! :-)

--
tina

--