Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting Query

Doing it Stan's way would be:
=AND(COLUMN()<=48,ROW()<=24,NOT(AND(COLUMN()=16,C OLUMN()<=32,ROW()=12,ROW()<=24)))
--
David Biddulph

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...

Well, conditional formatting lets you have three settings in a given
cell, so you could test your three conditions.

Or you could write a single setting, albeit a more complex one, which
would be an AND of two conditions. One condition would be inside the
region (0,0) to (48,24), and the other condition would be NOT within
the "hollow inside" of the U. I don't understand your coordinate
system, so I don't feel like I can take a stab at writing the
formula, but I hope that gives you the idea.

Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:00:01 -0800 from Neil Pearce
:

I've been using CONDITIONAL FORMATTING to fill cells in visually
illustrating a rectangle based on a length and width using the following
formula:
=AND(COLUMN()<=16,ROW()<=24)

Nb.[coordinates: top left (0,0), bottom right (16,24)]

I now wish to to do the same for a U shaped area made up of three boxes
with
coordinates,

Top left , Bottom Right
1: (0,0), (16,24)