Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] curiousgeorge408@hotmail.com is offline

Default How to create control button on worksheet: Forms v. ActiveX feature?

I wanted to create a control button (correct terminology?) on a
worksheet to execute a macro. I stubbled across two different types
of control buttons: one created by the Forms toolbar; the other
created by the Control Toolbox toolbar, which I understand is an
ActiveX control.

Since my macro was already written, the Forms control button seems
more straight-forward to associate a pre-existing macro with a control
button.

But I actually stumbled across the ActiveX control button first. That
required that I "rewrite" (cut-and-paste) my macro into an Excel
Object Sheet1 window instead of the Module1 window.

(Okay, I could have called the pre-existing macro from the "click"
macro. More about that below.)

This got me to wonder.... What are the pros and cons of each
approach? Why are there two appoaches?

I suspect the answer to the latter question is: I am not using one or
the other feature as it is intended to be used. Please elaborate.

Some things that I observed. Your comments would be appreciated....

First, as I said, the Forms control button set-up seemed more straight-
forward.

However, when I click on the ActiveX control button, I get visual
feedback. I don't get any visual feedback when I click on the Forms
control button.

Is there something that I need to do in order to get visual feedback
from the Forms control button? Or is that just the way the Forms
control button works?

(WAG: Perhaps because it normally brings up a user form, which would
serve as sufficient visual feedback.)

Second, I encountered a name conflict error when I tried to call the
pre-existing macro from the ActiveX "click" macro created in the Excel
Object window. That was actually due to my mistake, and I now know
how to avoid it. But I'm curious: what was the name conflict?

Here is what happened. After I created the Active control button
(with default name CommandButton1), I right-clicked on the button,
clicked Properties, and changed Name (as well as Caption) to Foobar,
the name of the Module1 macro. When I clicked on View Code, that
created the Excel Object Sheet1 macro to Foobar_Click(). In the VBE,
I entered the statement "call Foobar". When I tried to execute the
macro (either using F5 or exiting control design mode and clicking the
button), I got the error "expect procedure, not variable" on the Call
statement.

Of course, I solved the problem. (The obvious solution is to change
only Caption, not Name. But before I realized that, I simply renamed
the Module1 macro.) But I'm curious: why did I get the error in the
first place?

Apparently, there is a variable with the same name as the ActiveX
control button. But I don't see it. How can I see it? What is its
purpose?

Finally, what is the "preferred" approach to do what I wanted and why,
namely: to have a control button on the worksheet to execute a macro
(pre-existing or not)?