Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Error message on opening Excel 2007

Look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART
(assuming you have Excel installed on C: drive)
and see if the document is in there. Might also look in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\STARTUP

Sounds like somehow a Word document has gotten placed into one of those
folders and so when Excel opens, it's trying to open all files in that
folder. Naturally Excel doesn't speak Word, so you get the error?

"pedro parkes" wrote:

When I open Excel 2007, whether for a new spreadsheet or for an existing one,
I get an error message 'Invalid Format - anotherfilename.doc' If I click OK
then Excel appears to function normally. The 'anotherfilename.doc' is always
the same file. Does anyone have any ideas please?