Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marge Marge is offline

Default display USA phone format in formula bar

You can rearrange almost any data by using a combination or mid and
concatenate functions. Your equation would look something like this
=MID(D27,1,3)&"-"&MID(D27,4,3)&"-"&MID(D27,5,4) when original 10 digit phone
number is in cell D27

"Stephen S" wrote:

Excel 2003
I have lists of phone numbers in continuous 10 digits format. I'd like to
convert them to USA format so I can import them (with area code in
parentheses etc) into a PTA school phone directory using Word 2003 merge. I
know about Format/Cells/Special/Phone Number but this is obviously only for
display and printing purposes. While the cells show the US format, the
unformatted 10 digits are still in the formula bar.