Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
A Taxed Mind A Taxed Mind is offline

Default Alternative to SUMif when linking to closed workbooks

Thanks for your help Biff, but am afraid I just can't get it to work.

I tried the following and just got error messages.

SUMPRODUCT(('C:\Documents and Settings\Kärsälä\My Documents\Farm
Documents\Tax Documents and Spreadsheets\[2007 draft Tax Documents.xls]Maa.
Tili'!$C$6:$C$40,"="&'Maa. Tulot'!C13),*'C:\Documents and Settings\Kärsälä\My
Documents\Farm Documents\Tax Documents and Spreadsheets\[2007 draft Tax
Documents.xls]Maa. Tili'!$D$6:$I$40)

=SUMPRODUCT(('C:\Documents and Settings\Kärsälä\My Documents\Farm
Documents\Tax Documents and Spreadsheets\[2007 draft Tax Documents.xls]Maa.
Tili'!C6:C40,)"="&'Maa. Tulot'!*C13),*'C:\Documents and Settings\Kärsälä\My
Documents\Farm Documents\Tax Documents and Spreadsheets\[2007 draft Tax
Documents.xls]Maa. Tili'!D6:I40)

To be honest I still think I am not typing it correctly though. Can you see
where I am going wrong?

Thanks again.

"T. Valko" wrote:

SUMPRODUCT should work:

=SUMPRODUCT((your_path_sheet!C6:C40=sheet!C13)*you r_path_sheet!D6:I40)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"A Taxed Mind" wrote in message
I know that I cannot use SUMif when linking to closed workbooks. I have
the
following formula which only works when the workbook is open:

=SUMIF('C:\Documents and Settings\Kärsälä\My Documents\Farm Documents\Tax
Documents and Spreadsheets\[2007 draft Tax Documents.xls]Maa.
Tili'!$C$6:$C$40,"="&'Maa. Tulot'!C13,'C:\Documents and
Settings\Kärsälä\My
Documents\Farm Documents\Tax Documents and Spreadsheets\[2007 draft Tax
Documents.xls]Maa. Tili'!$D$6:$I$40)

What could I do to make this work? I have tried both SUMproduct and
SUM(if
but excel returned errors both times, presumably because my typing is so
poor.

In case there is an easier way what I am trying to achieve is to match the
text in the range on my summary sheet to the same text in the range in the
annual sheets. When a match is found the adjacent value should be
returned.

Thanks in advance for your help.