Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten Niek Otten is offline

Default HLOOKUP() explanation

That formula can't work. It tries to extract data from the second row of a one-row range (that is the 2 in the formula)

I find this is all well explained in Excel Help.

Here's a tutorial about VLOOKUP(). Apart from the orientation of the lookup table (vertical instead of horizontal) it is
essentially the same.

Post again in this thread if you have specific problems.
--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel