Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tom Hutchins Tom Hutchins is offline

Default find last row value in column when using MATCH to find column

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, a formula like the
following should work:

=LOOKUP(1E+307,INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,MATCH("CAT",2:2) )):INDIRECT(ADDRESS(65535,MATCH("CAT",2:2))))

In this example, the MATCH functions are looking for the heading "CAT" in
row 2. The LOOKUP function is searching rows 1 through 65535 of that column
for a ridiculously big number (1E+307), and returns the last number found in
the range. If there are no numbers in the range, an error is returned.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Bouce" wrote:

Hi

I have a problem where I use MATCH to find a column with a specific heading
and then I want to find the last value in the column.
I would like to achieve this just using formulas in the worksheet if possible
All the solutions I have found require the Column letter ("B") instead of a
reference.
My match range does start at column A as 1 if that helps.
Thanks