detlghtpd

A column B column C column D column
orange orange 1.50 grape
grape 2.00 grape
apple 3.00
apple bannana .75
orange
bannana
apple
grape

i want the price for each fruit to be entered in the (B)column

"detlghtpd" wrote:

sorry it was not clear i just started trying to learn excel. what i want is
to take a long list of text items in column (A) that consist of only five
differant items but in random order grapes, bannanas, apples, ect. In column
(B) I want to list this weeks price for each. The price changes weekly so in
column (C) I want to list only the five differant fruits. and in column (D) i
want to list this weeks price for each fruit. what i need is a formula that
matches this weeks price (D) to a specific fruit in (C) and then changes the
Price in B to match its fuit listed in (A)

A column B column C column D column
orange orange 1.50 i
want the price
grape grape 2.00 for
each fruit to be
grape apple 3.00
entered in the (B)column
apple bannana .75
orange
bannana
apple
grape

"Dave O" wrote:

Your post seems to conflict with itself: you've said you want to add a3
+ a2 if a1 is both "apple" and "orange".

Here's a starting point:
=if(a1="apple",a3+a2,"a1 is not apple")

You can substitute another result, perhaps 0, for "a1 is not apple".