Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default counting data in columns with linked cells

Are the dates numbers so that when linked to an empty cell it will return a
zero
if so you can use

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"0")

if text change the link formula to (adapt to fit you own references)

=IF(A2="","",A2)

as an example, if A2 is blank it will return a blank and not zero

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20<""))

Peo Sjoblom

"Bernie R." <Bernie wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with numerous columns of data containing dates linked
from other spreadsheets. I'm using the "counta" to count the rows
containing
data in each column, but my problem is every row is being counted whether
it
contains data or is blank.

Appreciate anyone's assistance in solving this.