Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Using cell content as reference in formula

Not confusing to me - the formula would work if you put your sheet
name in P1, and they can be in any order. If you use A1 to enter your
sheet name, then change it to:

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!$L$52")

which is what you have been given elsewhere.

Pete

On Feb 4, 3:08*pm, ptrip wrote:
The sheet names aren't necessarily in any sort of order, those I will hand
enter. *I just wanted the cell I entered the names into to be referenced by
other formulas within that row (I know, confusing).

"Gary's Student" solution answered by question ... but thanks so much for
your time!

"Pete_UK" wrote:
I'm not sure which cell contains the worksheet name - assume it is P1,
and then use this formula:

=INDIRECT("'"&P1&"'!$L$52")

Copy this down, and it will take the sheet name from P1, then P2, P3
etc. I've assumed that the worksheets are all in the same workbook.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 4, 1:53 pm, ptrip wrote:
I have a simple formula which reads:

='P1'!$L$52

Where 'P1' is a worksheet name.

I want the value 'P1' to be the contents of another cell.

Reason being:

This worksheet is a summary worksheet. *Each row contains multiple values
(or formulas) from a different worksheet. I'd like to have one column where I
type the worksheet name and have that name automatically inserted into the
formulas throughout the row.

I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times before, I just don't know
a good search string to enter!

Thanks for your help.- Hide quoted text -