Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rguerrie rguerrie is offline

Default Excel Bugs

On further examination, every counta, including those columns with
more than 1 X is counting an additional x that isn't there.

On Feb 2, 12:19 am, rguerrie wrote:
Excel is counting incorrectly, I think. I am using counta to count
the number of Xs in a column. If I enter counta(a1:a23,"x") it
evaluates to 1, which is incorrect. If I enter counta(a1:a23) it
evaluates to zero, which is correct. To verify this I search/find a1
to a23 for x, it says there aren't any. I also visually inspect the
column and there are no Xs. It does this in a number of columns.
It also miscounts 1 X as 2 Xs. When there is more than 1 X in a
column, it appears to count correctly.

My spreadsheets aren't that big, less than a MB each. This is not the
first problem I have encountered. When I copy then past special--
values only and transpose, it sticks in extra cells containing zeros.
I get a lot of buggy stuff like this. Why do I not see other people
complaining about things like this? I am a fairly sophisticated
computer user. Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong?