Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
carlo carlo is offline

Default Automate Merge

Hi John

In my opinion you can only merge automatically if there is a pattern
that excel can recognize in order to know which rows have to be
merged.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "alignment features". Never
heard of them....that doesn't mean they don't exist though!

You could try and record the steps you take. Then, by posting the code
we could figure something out for sure :)

Cheers Carlo

On Feb 1, 5:12*am, John wrote:
In an bank statement (excel softcopy) the movement description excel rows
look like this:

1 RECIBO TELEFONO * * * * * * *
2 TELEFONICA MOVILES S.A. * * * * * * *
3 RECIBO A SU CARGO * *
4 CANAL SATELITE DIGITAL, S.L. * * * * *
5 RECIBO/OPERACION TARJETA VISA
6 RECIBO/OPERACION TARJETA VISA
7 TRASPASO O TRANSFERENCIA * * *
8 PARQUE HARO Y AZUL, S.A. * * * * * * *

To make each row meaningful and complete I use the excel (2002) alignment
features to make it look like this:

1 RECIBO TELEFONO TELEFONICA MOVILES S.A. * * * * * * *
3 RECIBO A SU CARGO CANAL SATELITE DIGITAL, S.L. * * * * * * * *
5 RECIBO/OPERACION TARJETA VISA
6 RECIBO/OPERACION TARJETA VISA
7 TRASPASO O TRANSFERENCIA PARQUE HARO Y AZUL, S.A.

I do this to prepare the excel spread sheet for import to an access
database. From reading the various posts I believe that this could be
automated however with my limited skills I feel that I need some direct
guidence.

You can see that I merged rows 1 and 2, rows 3 and 4, rows 7 and 8. I didnīt
need to do anything with rows 5 and 6. There is typically more than 200 mixed
rows like this per month with more than 50% needing alignment.

I hope that this example is clear and I look forward getting some help.