Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default circular error

You can have an accumulator cell but only if you use another cell for input and
only when adding, not multiplying.

For multiplying you would need VBA event code.

If Target.Cells.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
On Error GoTo CleanUp
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If .Value < "" Then
.Value = .Value * 23 'fixed given number
End If
End With
CleanUp:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Right-click on the sheet tab and "View code". Copy/paste the code into that
sheet module.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:12:30 GMT, "gavin"
wrote:

I think this is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway :-) Actually
it's on behalf of a friend of mine and I've told him it's not possible but I
thought I would check with the experts!

Is it possible to enter a number into a cell and have the cell display that
number multiplied by a given number in that same cell? I don't think this is
possible because of a circular error. I don't even know why he would want to
achieve this, he hasn't told me. Is there way of doing this at all - maybe
using VBA?