Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Shared Workbook - Best Practice

I wish you all the best... You are asking XL to do something that it just not
designed to do. Your question is analagous to "I have a screw driver and a
nail. How should I proceed?".

If you check my other post you will see an option involving 2 workbooks that
is about as close as you are going to get.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Karin" wrote:

It's definitely a spreadhsheet application, not a database.

What is wanted is for 5 of us to be in a conference room, all with laptops,
I make changes as requested, and everyone else can see the changes on their
copies.

The shared workbook works, except sometimes one of them will make a change
or do something to their copy that should not be picked up as a change (it
should be ignored).

(They know they should do nothing but look, but .... it's my bosses, what
can I really say?)

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

XL is not really the right platform for doing this kind of thing. It is very
poor at handling concurrent users. Have you considered using a database???
Generally speaking that is an infinitly easier and more flexible platform for
doing what you are considering...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Karin" wrote:

I would like to be able to have one person modify a workbook while many
people look at (but do not modify) the same workbook -- all viewing at the
same time.

What is the best method to do this? (It's important that the viewers not be
able to modify.)