Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Birthday probability

O.K.

If A1 contains the number of people then:

=1-(PERMUT(365,A1)/365^A1)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200766

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for that but it really is only a repeat of what I have done,what I
really wanted; and it might not be dooable, is a formula in a single cell
that works out the probability for n where n is the number of people in the
room.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

From Daytona Beach:

http://go.dbc.edu/mathematics/walsh_...3E5943B498.pdf

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200766

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,

I can work out the probabilities for 2 people in the same room sharing a
birthday by dragging formula down like so

No People Different Same %
2 364 365 99.73% 0.274%
3 363 365 99.18% 0.820%
4 362 365 98.36% 1.636%

But can anyone get this equation into a single formula where I imput n for
the number of people in the room and the probability is calculated.

And secodly a formula for the probability as the same birthday as me

Dave