Lynde

We have been trying to recreate the problems since we discovered some of the
links were incorrect. Our links go to the same intranet website, but to
different documents. That is, all the documents we are linking to reside on
the same website (e.g. www.microsoft.com/document1.doc,
www.microsoft.com/document2.ppt, www.microsft.com/document2.pdf).

When I add hyperlinks, I do the following:
I add text in a cell. I copy the appropriate URL from Internet Explorer. I
click the Insert Hyperlink icon in Excel. I paste the URL, Click OK. I save
and close Excel.

A thought came to mind last night, which this morning seems to give me some
clue. If text is entered in a cell, and that same text should be entered in
other cells below it, typically I copy and paste the text into each
additional cell. I know that you can drag a cell to autofill additional
ones. I tested doing this with a hyperlinked cell. I notice that if I want
to remove only one of the hyperlinks, ALL the hyperlinks from the autofilled
cells will also remove (they are connected). I'm now wondering if someone
had done this when they entered new text and links. This doesn't explain how
two different URLs are appearing in one cell, but I may be on the right track
to discovering the problem. I will now test inserting cells, filtering, etc.

If you have any additional thoughts on this, please feel free to share.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Do you think there is some special with your internal link sites? If not,
maybe you can do an example using links to say Microsoft.com, etc.

I entered text in a cell. I right-click the cell and pick Hyperlink. I go
to Browsed Pages and pick Microsoft.com and click OK. I click the link and
IE opens to the MS site. I save the file and exit Excel. I restart Excel
and open the file. I click the link and it still goes to the MS site. I
right click the link and pick Remove Link. The font instantly changes from
blue to black and the cell no longer has a link.

Can you descript in similar step-by-step detail how to recreate the problem?

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Lynde" wrote in message
| Jim,
| Yes, Edit Clear All does get rid of ALL hyperlinks and text in the
cell,
| but that doesn't explain why I'm having a problem with the hyperlinks to
| begin with. Let me try to explain further: I add a hyperlink to a cell
| that has text in it. The link works correctly when I click on it. I
close
| out of Excel. Some time later when I go back in the workbook, that link
may
| not be going to the same URL I just put in it. Also, some of the cells
with
| incorrect links now seem to have several different links within that one
| cell. (e.g. using the 'insert hyperlink' and 'remove link' option INSTEAD
OF
| Edit Clear All I find two or more different links in the cell.) We
| regularly have to add and delete rows. Would this effect the hyperlinks?
| Also, I'm wondering if someone 'sorted' on one of the columns via Data
| Sort, saved the file, and then later tried to return it to it's original
| state. Would this effect the hyperlinks?
|
| I might be able to send you a scaled down version of this spreadsheet, but
| you will not be able to access any of the links.
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| I'm not sure I'm following you completely but if you do an Edit, Clear,
All
| don't you then wind up with an empty cell into which you then insert the
| new hyperlink?
|
| --
| Jim Rech
| Excel MVP
| "Lynde" wrote in message
| |I hope I can explain this well enough for everyone to understand. Here
| goes:
| | I am using Excel 2003. I have a workbook that has approx. 2,300 Rows
of
| | data. Within each row there are 4 Columns that contain different
| hyperlinks
| | that go to corporate websites. I have come across some errors where
the
| | hyperlinks are going to the wrong URL. Sometimes when I click the
'Insert
| | Hyperlink' button and 'Remove Hyperlink', I find that when I go to
relink
| the
| | cell, it still has another hyperlink even though I just removed one.
It's
| | like there were two different hyperlinks in one cell. How does this
| happen?
| | And is there a way to fix it or prevent it from happening again? Also
| note,
| | that many people use this workbook. Once a month it gets filtered
(using
| the
| | AutoFilter feature and Custom AutoFilter) and unneeded cells are
deleted.
| | Would doing this repeatedly on the same workbook effect the
hyperlinks?
| | Please let me know if this is not clear. I am unable to send the
workbook
| | anyone due to corporate policies and confidential information.
| |