Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default how to proctect a workbook, then allow updates to be seen as read

Exactly what process are you going through right now that doesn't seem to be
working?

Try this - and watch the steps (from Excel 2003) closely because it's easy
to get lost. Use
File | Save As
In the dialog that comes up, look for a [Tools] pulldown at the TOP RIGHT of
the dialog box.
Open that list up and choose [General Options]
In the next window that opens you have the "Read-Only Recommended" option
available, and if you want to make sure that no one modifies it, enter a
password for the "Password to modify:" entry. Just don't tell anyone that
password, but write it down somewhere so you can modify your file later if
you need to.

Optionally, you can make a copy of your working file, and apply the
Read-Only and Password properties to the copy and make that available for
public viewing - keeping your original file in a pristine state without a
password needed to work with it.

"Sharon" wrote:

I'm working on a work book that I want to be able to make updates to and
allow other people to open the file as "read Only" and see the changes I
made. I can't seem to get to work.