Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default How to count duplicate or repeat values

Sorry, Roshlin, I'm lost.

You say you *have* a table of the top 20, and that you have a count of top
20 appearances (eg, Paul 4, Mike 3, Sandy 2).

If you already have this table, what more do you want Excel to do? You say
you want it to go through and pick out the top 20, but by your description,
that's already been done.

Please elaborate,
Regards,
Fred.

"Roshlin" wrote in message
HI FRED & VALKO,
Thanks for your quick response. My knowledge of excel is basic.
So it would be nice if you explain in a little more detail.
This is what I want to achive.
I have a team of 100 members which we rank periodically.
So now I have a table with the top 20 at different time intervals, say
week,
month etc. Till here I have it working.
Now I want a table to know how many are regulars, so the good ones will
come
more times in the top 20.
To continue with the earlier example, lets say,
Paul 4 , ranked 4 times in the top 20, week, month, quarter and year
Mike 3, ranked thrice, weeK, quarter and year
Sandy 2 , month and year and so on.
I want Excel to go through the week, month etc columns and get me the
nunber
of times each player appears in the top 20. and display the results as I
mentioned earlier.
Paul 4
Mike 3
Sandy 2

Thanks

"Fred Smith" wrote:

There are two ways:

1. Use Countif. As in =Countif(A:A,a1)

2. To get a summary of the names with their counts, the best way is to
create a pivot table. Post back if you need help on this.

Regards,
Fred

"Roshlin" wrote in message
Hi friends,

I have 6 columns with 100 names, I would like to count how many the
names
appear in the differnt columns and have the results on the same or
another
sheet with the number of times the name repeates
eg.
Paul 4
Mike 3
Sandy 2