Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default .tmp files filling up my folders

I've never seen excel create any file named like this.

Excel will create those funny named files without any extension, though. You
sure they have those .tmp extensions?

If they don't really have those .tmp extentions...

Saved from a previous post--Your file names look close to the AVG suggestion:
==========

If those .tmp files look like: ...\VB*.tmp

I searched google again for "\vb" and .tmp and got a few hits.

One of them:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...1eecaad1c774cc
or
http://snipurl.com/1339g

One person posted that they saw files that had names like: ~RF26c83af.TMP.

It was caused by AVG.

You can read her description in this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...cd4eed0638e395

or
http://snipurl.com/jyus

A while ago, someone posted back that uninstalling something called "Panda
ClientShield" fixed a similar problem.

Even if you're not running "Panda ClientShield", you could try disabling this
program to see if the problem goes away.

===============================
ps. I didn't remember correctly. That thread from Wendy (#7) does indeed point
to AVG as the culprit.

The Actuary wrote:

Thanks, Dave.

They are all eight letter/number combinations with the .tmp extension.

The latest is "9A825CF8.tmp".

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I don't think you're going to find an excel solution.

Excel isn't the thing that's making those files. (Although, I don't think I've
read that AVG is the antivirus program that does create these.)

Can you post some sample names of those .tmp files?

The Actuary wrote:

Since I started to use Excel 2007, my folders are getting loaded with .tmp
files that Excel does not seem to be deleting. So I have to do it manually.
A Google search revealed that there is some discussion on the AVG message
boards about the problem, and I do use the AVG virus software. But I was
wondering if anyone has encountered this problem with Excel 2007 and has any
suggestions.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson