Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
reganbrown reganbrown is offline

Default Merging Spreadsheets and Finding Matches and Exceptions

Thanks for the advice Matt. I've had very limited experience with vlookup,
but I thought vlookup was only useful for finding exact matches, I need to
find the matches and more importantly the exceptions between the two
spreadsheets.

To start with, do I copy and paste the data from the one spreadsheet into
the other before I start this process? Same sheet? Seperate tab in the same
workbook? Sorry, you must think I'm an idiot, but like anything else unless
you do things like this on a regular basis, you don't remember the process. I
am approaching that situation now.

Is there an online class I can take that will teach me this kind of stuff?
Would it be easier to do it in Access?

Thanks for your help!!

"Matt Richardson" wrote:

On 26 Jan, 00:36, reganbrown
wrote:
I have two Excel spreadsheets that I wish to merge. One list has about 2600
names, the other about 800. The matching key is "user ID" How do I find the
matches between the two spreadsheets and how do I find the exceptions? The
fields are basic, first name, last name, used ID, and email address. Any
sugestions would be very helpful and save me from having to merge them
together and go line by line to figure it out.

Thanks

Your best solution would be to use the VLOOKUP function. For an
explanation of how it works, try this link:-

http://teachr.blogspot.com/2006/07/v...ermediate.html

Basically the VLOOKUP function will allow you to lookup values in one
list against another. If there's any other help you need please let me
know.

Regards,
Matt Richardson
http://teachr.blogspot.com