Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default my impressions of Excel 2007

My own perception of Excel 2007 is that it's slightly slower than earlier
versions. In some cases it can become measurably slower.

As you've probably noticed from nosing around the forums, graphing/charting
is still mud-flow slow, even after a HOTFIX that did improve performance some.

You may experience some human-detectable slowdown with certain VB commands
that you've included in a User Defined Function. I only *know* of one, but
I'm reasonably certain there are others. Has to do with multi-threading in
multi-core CPUs.

There will now be more compatibility problems if workbooks are developed in
2007 using some of the new functions and then passed on to someone without
2007. But that's something that we've dealt with in each new release - new
worksheet functions such as SUMIFS() will end up going a long way to helping
the more novice user use Excel in more powerful ways.

I'm still wondering about the acceptance of Office 2007 in general - I have
yet to have one client come to me and require Excel 2007 as the final format.
So far everyone is still on a version from 2000 on to 2003. Some
individuals in forums like this one, but not any corporate/groups that I work
with.

"T. Valko" wrote:

I finally broke down and installed Excel 2007...

The ribbon isn't horrible but it'll take some getting used to. Kind of
reminds me of a video game.

I've been looking around for about a half hour and I still haven't found
conditional formatting

On my 17" CRT monitor @ 100% zoom I get a whopping 18 rows by 11.6 columns
work area!

I've already turned off formula autocomplete!

Some folks have complained about the contrast of selected cells - yeah, I
can see their point

I like the expandable formula bar - nice for those monster formulas

Here's something I don't understand...

If I want to close Excel I have to click the "X" twice? What's that all
about?

I can't wait to do some testing on calc times with formulas that use entire
columns as ranges!

I'm wondering if IFERROR makes a real difference with real long complex
formulas. My guess is that it isn't any better than a "crafted error trap"
although it would shorten some formulas considerably.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP