Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Elegant solution for two comparisons

Try this:

With your posted data list in A1:D4

F1: (a salary....eg 14000)
G1: (a grade....eg Grade G

This formula returns the associated grade points:
=SUMPRODUCT(($B$2:$D$4=F1)*($B$1:$D$1=G1)*$A$2:$A$ 4)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Joe Murphy" wrote in message
I have a list of employees. Employees have salaries, and they have
grades (A through G). I'd like to tie their salaries and grades to a
separate table of grade points. Here's an example of the table:

Grade G / Grade F / Grade E
6 14,000 / 16,000 / 18,000
5 12,000 / 14,000 / 16,000
4 10,000 / 12,000 / 14,000

So I'd start with an employee with a salary of 14,000. He's Grade F.
So the formula would output point 5. If he was Grade G, he'd instead
be on point 6.

What's the most elegant way to build this? Match and Index (which I'm
not familiar with)? Nested IFs?

Thanks,

Joe.