Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Seamus O'Connell Seamus O'Connell is offline

Default Cannot get Query Wizard to work in Excel

Apologies if I have posted this twice. I think it failed the first time but
I'm not sure. Anyway I couldn't find the question in the discussion group.

It's likely that my problem arises from basic misunderstanding of how things
work, but I would be very grateful for help.

I've got Office Professional 2003 under XP Home + SP2 and I subscribe to the
MS automatic software update service.

I'm trying to use Query Wizard to set up a query to transfer selected rows
from an Access database to an Excel worksheet.

In Excel I do < Data / Import External Data / New Database Query / Databases
/ MS Access Database* / Browse but I can't see my database. Its folder is
in the top slot but no files are shown below it. < Files of type shows <
data sources .

Perhaps I have not got Query installed for Excel (it is installed for Access
and I have used it there). But I don't get prompted to install Query when
doing the above operation.

I tried to find out if Excel had got Query installed via Add or Remove
Programs (in my administrator account with my user accounts closed). I
selected MS Office change and got a window asking me to select applications
to install and deselect applications to remove, but I don't want to do
either. I want to find out what's there.

How can I find out the installation details for Excel, and other Office
programs?

--
Seamus O'Connell