Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tyro[_2_] Tyro[_2_] is offline

Default Do I use "IF" or something else?

You can upload your file to savefile.com and post the url of the saved file
here. We can download your file and look at it.

Tyro

"klg" wrote in message
I thought I understood, evidently I don't. I wish I had never volunteered
do this, it's more involved than anything I've ever done before. I am
supposed to submit this tomorrow morning, brilliant huh? :)

I have two worksheets, one for calculating the information and the second
one with the reference information. I used
=VLOOKUP(D5,Policies!,C3:C23,2,FALSE
but it didn't work. You probably don't have enough information huh?
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

"Tyro" wrote:

Correction Change the reference to "Then in D5 you enter" To "Then in D6
you
enter". You cannot have a formula return a value on top of itself. I
never
see these mistakes until I have posted.

Tyro

"Tyro" wrote in message
.. .
As in the examples in Excel help, you create entries in A1 through A3
with
the values (A1) CD/ASSISTED, (A2) CHECKING, (A3) CREDIT CARD etc. Then
in
column B, (B1) "10.00", (B2) "10.00", (B3) "10.00" etc. Then in say, D5
you enter what you are looking for, say, checking. Then in D5 you enter
the formula =vlookup(D5,A1:B3,2,FALSE). The formula says to look up
whatever is in D5, e.g. checking in A1:A3 and if an exact case
insensitive
match is found (FALSE), as it will be in A2, return the value in the
second column (the 2), in this case B2, "10.00". If you want numeric
values returned just enter 10 instead of "10.00" The values in column
must be unique.

Tyro

lg" wrote in message
I am developing a spreadsheet for us to use at for keeping track of
bonuses.
I have 7 columns - date, policyholder, policy, type, premium, bonus,
and
initials. The date, policyholder and premium columns we'll fill in.
have
created dropdown boxes for the policy and type columns. I want the
bonus
column to fill itself based on either what is chosen in the type
column
or to
calculate 2% of the premium, (depending on which it used), but I can't
seem
to make any function work.

I tried the following formula for the type, but it didn't work.

=IF(D5=CD/ASSISTED,CHECKING,CREDIT CARD,DECLINED/WORKED LOAN,MONEY
MARKET,MUTUAL FUND ASSISTED,SAVINGS, "10.00", IF(D5=ANNUITY IRA/TSA
ASSIST/REFERRAL,ASSURANT STUDENT,HOSPITAL INCOME,LOAN W/OUT CREIDT
DISABILITY,MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT,MORTGAGE DISABILITY INCOME,TERM,
"25.00",IF(D5= ANNUITY IRA/TSA,ASSURANT INDIVIDUAL MEDICAL,LOAN
W/CREDIT
DISABILITY,LONG TERM CARE,MORTGAGE LOAN CLOSED,UNIVERSAL LIFE,WHOLE
LIFE,
"50.00")))

HELP!!