Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Colin Colin is offline

Default Find and Replace with wildcards?

Thanks for your replies, I have managed to resolve my problem. I didnt
explain myself fully and will make sure I do next time - thanks

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

You are using Replace from Excel's menu, right? Put ~* in the "Find what"
field and remove anything in the "Replace with" field (this field should
have nothing in it) then hit the Replace or Replace All button.

Rick

"Colin" wrote in message
Thanks Gord, I have got that far - I'm stuck on removing the asterisk only
and leaving the value and also how to differentiate between numeric data
and
letters before the asterisk

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

To find/replace an asterisk precede the asterisk by a tilde.

~*

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:34:00 -0800, Colin

wrote:

Hello,

I have data in a worksheet that has some number and some letter values
sometimes followed by an asterisk.
I am trying to find all entries of a number followed by an asterisk and
format the cell and remove the asterisk.
I am halfway there using find and replace but starting to think this may
not
be the best way to do it.
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks