Dave Peterson

If you can get to the program that generates that CSV file, maybe you can have
them replace the linefeeds within each field with some unique and unused
character--like $.

Then import your data and change the $'s back to linefeeds.

If you can't get to that program, maybe you can fix the data after importing it.

If those numbers are actually numbers (not line/record numbers), then you could
look for a number in column A. If it's not a number, then it must be associated
with the description field (column C???). Then merge all those together.

But it really depends on if you can isolate the type of record.

Achal wrote:

I am using Excel 2003.
I need to import a comma delimited file into an excel sheet.
While importing into an excel sheet I need to ignore some carriage
returns/newline characters. I tried using double quotes (") but this doesn't
ignore newline charcters.
Sample file is as follows
1,name,description
details
2,name,description details
3,name,description details
In the above I need to ignore the carriage retun of the 1st record and
display the 'description details' in one column.

--

Dave Peterson