Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) is offline

Default Copy first few letters from a cell

You can also do it with a SUMIF function call...

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"ABCDE*",B1:B10)

(Mat... note the asterisk after the 5 character string you want to sum for)

Rick

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
No need to do that. Use SUMPRODUCT where col A is the co name and col B is
the numbers to be summed.

=sumproduct((left(a2:a22,5)="ABCDE")*B2:B22)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Mat" wrote in message
Dear mate,

I have 6000 client names and some are duplicates. I need to copy just the
first 5 letters of each client from the cell and place in the next cell.
This
will help me to sum up all the ABCDE revenue as they are all same client
with
different names with the first 5 letters are common.
Hope I was able to explain my issue,

For example

ABCDE Ltd
ABCDE co.