Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jorge Jorge is offline

Default uncombining columns

There are sometimes one name and one last name, other times two names and a
last name and even some other times two names or a name and initial and two
last names, in any case, what I want to separate is, so far, always separated
by a comma.

Question: Using the DataText to ColumnsDelimited by comma function would
need to be used separately for each cell right? Is there a way I can select a
column with 100 cells with names and last names and splitted easily into two
colums with names in one column and last names in the other?

Also, it hasn't been the case yet but, what if the names and last names have
no commas separating them (i.e. George Walker Bush) where I have two names
and just one last name - how could I choose to separate just the last name in
this case?

Thank you, you guys are great!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Do you have a comma and a space between the two names, or just a
space? Will you always have two names, or might there be a 3rd name
(or initials)?

Pete

On Jan 15, 11:58 pm, Jorge wrote:
I have a question. Someone below asked the question about combining columns
(See "Combining columns????"). I would like to know if there is a formula
that would do the same but the other way around, in other words, breaking the
content of a cell into separate cells.

The formula provided to combine was: = A1&", "&B1&", "&C1 so I guess what I
need is the opposite of what this formula does. Any thoughts?

I especifically want to break down a cell that has a name and last name in
the same cell and break it down into two cells so I can do a .CSV file and
imported into my outlook.

Thanks for the replies in advance.