Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default Have code check cell contents on edit.

Hi Andrew,

Can use the Change event and the Selection_Change events together. With the
Selection_Change event you record the contents of a cell that the user moves
to and store this in a global variable.

If the user makes change to the restricted area the Change event 1. puts the
value of the variable back into the cell and then displays a warning message.

By the way you can protect the worksheet and still allow inserting of rows
and columns, sorting and many other things.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Andrew" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to identify if there is a way of having a worksheet unprotected
but preventing a cell from being edited (using the 'F2' button or simply
typing into it) if there is a formulae in it ('=' in the first character).

I can see how to check after the change has been made using
Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) but is there 'BEFORE_CHANGE' method.

The reason I want this is becuase we want end users to be able to sort,
insert etc as usual but if they select cell 'B4' and type or press the 'F2'
button a message box will appear saying they can't edit.

Andrew
160108

--
Andrew