Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone Jim Cone is offline

Default Formula for Avoiding totals of Duplicate Information

Insert or use an empty column to the left of your data set.

In that column use the formula... "=COUNTIF(D5:$D$19,D5)" and fill down.
The above assumes invoice IDs in D5:D19 (note the use of $).

Assuming the above formulas are in column C and the amounts to total
are in column E, then your "Total" formula is... =SUMIF(C5:E19,"=1",E5:E19)

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
(Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)

"Garbage Man"
wrote in message
I want to calculate a total that avoids certain duplicate information, like
an invoice number that may repeat. I have a list of daily invoices but the
same invoice number may come up twice for various reasons. I only want to
calculate its total once.