Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Capitalize first letter in sentence

PROPER will capitalize the first letter of each word, while Pete's formula
capitalizes just the first word of the string.
--
David Biddulph

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hey Pete,

Just curious. Does the formula you mentioned do anything extra than the
PROPER function? Just increasing my knowledge.

Thanks
Gaurav

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
Like this:

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

This leaves the rest of the string unchanged and capitalises the first
letter. You may like to add this amendment:

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1)&LOWER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))

which will ensure that the rest of the string is lower case.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 14, 10:13 pm, Lightjag
wrote:
I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the
text
string with the first letter capitalized. How can I do this?